Saturday 10 March 2012

Sheriff, This is No Time to Panic!

Disney/Pixar # 1 - Toy Story



I'm baaack! After a long hiatus from Disney-themed bakes after finishing the Disney Classic collection, my friends and I decided it was about time to get round to the Disney/Pixar collection, so here we are!


It's going to be slightly different this time. First off, it will not be a weekly event. (I'm afraid I don't have the time, nor money, nor waistline to commit to that again ^_^) There are only 12 movies in the collection this time though, so we're just going to have our Disney Movie Nights as and when we're able to. We are, however, hoping to fit in all of the movies before the release of Brave at the end of June - and have THAT as our finale this time round! Anyways, due to this fact, recipes will be appearing on your screens roughly every 10 days.


Another difference is that this time it will be just cupcakes. I've been toying with this as an idea for a while; the Disney/Pixar films are full of vibrant imagery which I think could translate really well into themed cupcakes, so that's what it will be. I figured that if Pixar can have it's own little bubble within the wider Disney-verse, the Disney/Pixar bakes can have their own little bubble within the wider Princess-and-the-Cake-iverse.



So to get the Disney/Pixar cakes started, we had the well-loved (and arguably the BEST Disney/Pixar film) Toy Story. Now, as if it's not challenging enough to come up with movie-theme cupcakes, Toy Story presented me with an additional challenge: there are three. I didn't want to (and didn't think I'd be able to) come up with three completely different ideas for each of the Toy Story films, as the films themselves all link nicely into one big story. But then I also didn't want to produce the same cupcakes three times running - that would make pretty boring reading for you! In the end I settled on an idea I could develop across the three movies: character costume cupcakes. I'd "dress up" my cupcakes in "costumes" to represent the key characters, that way each time I could work on different characters. It would be a trilogy of cupcakes ^_^

I decided that as the focus of the Toy Story trilogy cupcakes would be on the decoration I'd make a basic vanilla sponge this time. I also decided that to start my cupcake trilogy I could only ever take inspiration from the two main-men: Woody and Buzz.

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12-15 minutes
Decoration time: 30 minutes
Makes 12 cupcakes (6 Woody and 6 Buzz)

Ingredients:

For the cupcakes:
100g margarine
100g caster sugar
1 medium egg
100g self raising flour
1tbsp milk
1tsp vanilla essence

For the butter cream:
50g margarine
100g icing sugar
a few drop of vanilla essence

For the decoration:
Some edible glue, or simple sugar syrup
Bronze shimmer dust
Long red, green and blue sprinkles
Red ball sprinkles
White chocolate stars
Some ready to roll fondant icing and plenty of food colouring! Ok, that's very vague, but I forgot to measure out how much fondant icing I used. If I recall it was roughly 2/3 of a 500g packet. In hope it helps, I've provided below an image of both the colours you'll need and the relative quantities of each colour:


  • Ok, so best to start by baking the cupcakes! Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 and line a bun tray with cupcake cases.
  • Beat the margarine and sugar together in a large bowl until creamy, then beat in the egg. Add in the flour and vanilla essence, then place a heaped teaspoon of the mixture into each cupcake case. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and firm to touch.
  • Whilst the cupcakes are cooling, whip up your butter cream by placing the margarine, icing sugar and vanilla essence in a large bowl and beating until a smooth and creamy icing has formed. Place this to one side whilst you cut out your shapes.
  • I think it will be easier for me to show you the shapes I cut, rather than to tell you, so I've pasted a photo below. The best tip I could give is to make sure you roll out your icing really thin, as you will be layering it up and the last thing you'll want is a layer of icing as thick as the cake! I also used the bronze shimmer dust to "paint" Woody's sheriff badge and belt buckle bronze.



  • So now for the assembly: spread a little butter cream over each cupcake, then start to assemble your icing shapes, using the edible glue to stick down each piece. Again, I think it's probably easier to show you what I did rather than try to describe it, so here's a photo collage of the step-by-step assembly of the Buzz and Woody cupcakes:


So there you have it; Woody and Buzz character costume cupcakes! Ta-dah!




Next up it's A Bugs Life!

Happy Thoughts
x

No comments:

Post a Comment